Parish Social Ministry Resources
We have gathered these resources to assist in the planning and practices of your Social Justice Committee.
- Seven Themes of Catholic Social Teaching Catholic Charities mission and Parish Social Ministry is deeply rooted in the seven principles of Catholic Social Teaching.
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective Social Justice Committees This was written by Auxiliary Bishop Joseph Sullivan in 1995 and is still very relevant today.
- Charity vs. Justice This chart helps us illustrate the difference in focus to two forms of committee.
- Parish Social Ministry – Catalysts & Collaborators in Social Ministry Developed by Catholic Charities USA, this is a collection of effective strategies and valuable lessons garnered from the expertise and experience of Catholic Charities directors and Parish Social Ministry professionals across the country.
- Building Effective Parish Social Ministry Teams This document from the USCCB web site draws from Communities Of Salt And Light: Reflections On the Social Mission of the Parish, which is good reading for all parts of parish life.
- Parish Social Ministry Tool Kit In this tool kit you will find a collection of strategies and resources that have been developed by Parish Social Ministry leaders from across the country. This document contains great information but does have some links to CCUSA resources that are broken. We have notified CCUSA and will update the PDF file once the links are fixed.
- Social Ministry Integrated into Parish Communities This PowerPoint presentation created in August 2012 for an Archdiocesan webinar covering key concepts of Social Justice committees.
- Standing Committees Correlated (July 12, 2010) The functions of the Standing Committees as described on pages 29-44 of the Manual for Parish Pastoral Councils and correlated with the Vision 2000 goals and strategies.
- Parish Social Ministry Together in the Work for Justice In 2003, Catholic Charities USA led a listening session to uncover some strategies for building and sustaining relationships with parishes by hearing the pastor’s perspective. This manual is a sharing of these insights gained for anyone who wants to build and sustain fruitful relationships with parishes.
- CRS Partner Parish Manual A guide for parishes in the United States that are involved in some type of sister parish or twinning relationship with a parish in another country.